Sunday, April 13, 2014

2013-2014 SKI SEASON - recap

Had a great ski season this year. One day trip and four overnight trips. Hit CO as well as all the northern New England states: MA, NH, ME, VT. Eleven days of skiing in all. Here's a semi-randomized recap:

First time out was at Wachusett where I demo'd three pairs of skis; I ended up buying the prior year of one of those models at the end of December. Opted for what I thought at the time were wider skis (83 underfoot, an upgrade from my other pair which are 69 underfoot), but as it turns out I probably should have gone even wider (like 100 underfoot). The skis were great on the slopes in New England (with a couple exceptions where we got loads of powder), but it was the Colorado trip where I truly learned an appreciation for fat skis. Up towards the top of Breck (12,000+ ft elevation) - the powder was just too deep for me to keep the skis on top of the snow for long. The steepness of some of those slopes combined with the deepness of the powder made for some great spills. (Can you say "yard sale"!?) And was certainly humbled at times by burning muscles due to being out of shape and from being at 2mi+ elevation. Haha, well - I was able to ski the entire mountain, but definitely encountered some rough patches.

Went out to Breck with sunglasses, but ended up buying goggles while out there. Sunglasses just don't cut it when it's snowing hard high up on the mountain. I skied the first half of the first day with sunglasses, slicing down the mountain half blind feeling my way over the terrain, constantly wiping them, using an anti-fog cloth (to little avail) and finally realized I needed goggles. I know, a pretty amateur call. Luckily I didn't get fleeced buying a pair right in the mtn lodge. A very reasonable $40 got me a solid pair of Smith Transit goggles, and I was set for the rest of the season.

Skied a decent variety of terrain this season. Getting much better at moguls, just need to work on steeper slopes with moguls (next season). After 8 days of skiing this season, I think my legs got tired; my quads never burned so quickly as on that last trip in VT. Early on, did a fair amount of glade skiing, including a few tight sections where you really have to turn quickly to avoid the trees. Guess this was a bit risky without a helmet. I'm a convert on that and will aim to get a helmet by the start of next season. It's the safe thing to do. Not to mention for the jumps here and there, some fast runs (speeds at 40+ mph), and well - protection against other skiers/snowboarders.

I also hope to get new ski boots. The pair I currently have I bought used a couple years ago, and while they generally fit me ok, they are not quite snug enough, even after I used the latches and screws to make adjustments. There is so much technology and design into all this equipment, I ought to take advantage of a proper fit and set of features.

Got in some air travel (to/from CO) with all this equipment as well. While schlepping through the airport with tons of equipment can be a hassle, I think it's worth it if you like your equipment. The Dakine bags held up just fine (added some cardboard reinforcements to the ski bag for extra protection). No issues to report with the airlines, the bags or the equipment. Skis, poles and boots all made the out and back trip in proper condition.

I think that's it. Lots of fun on the mountains this season, what with the views, meals, apres ski/nightlife, and so on. Looking forward to the warmer season and getting fit for next year's fun on the slopes.

EQUIPMENT
Skis: Salomon Enduro XT850 (170cm length with sidecut: 127-83-110)
Bindings: Salomon STH12 (o/s, 90mm)
Poles: Salomon North Pole (120cm)
Ski Bag: Dakine (padded, reinforced myself with cardboard)
Boot Bag: Dakine (with front pocket & helmet pocket)
Boots: Dalbello Avanti V8
Jacket: North Face Venture
Sunglasses: Arnette Tantrum
Goggles: Smith Transit
Helmet: none

OUTINGS [# of days skiing]
2013-Dec 15: Wachusett, MA [1]
2014-Jan 3-5: Bretton Woods, NH [2]
2014-Feb 8-13: Breckenridge, CO [3]
2014-Feb 14-17: Sunday River, ME [2]
2014-Mar 14: Sugarbush, VT [1]
2014-Mar 15-16: Stowe, VT [2]

Season Total: 11 days of skiing


No comments:

Post a Comment